Product Review - Glad Microwave Steaming Bags

I had picked up a bundle package of these on clearance at Target a while ago ... there was the box with 7 X-LARGE bags and the box with 10 regular bags. I don't remember how much I paid, but surely, it was under $2.50 for the two!
Anyways. Debating all morning long on what to do with myself today. What to make for dinner. Do I want to make cookies. Pizza dough, etc. Was in guest fridge (in the guest kitchen) and noticed that I still have lots and lots of taters. Yes, I keep them in the fridge. Here in south Florida, we don't have cool, dry, dark places to store stuff like taters in the summer time. Anyways. Take out 1/2 of a 5 lb bag and start scrubbing. Figured I'll start with baked taters for dinner & fill in around that. I grab the tinfoil and see the big box of bags and think, hmmm. Pull out a bag, see it says 5 medium size taters for 8 to 9 minutes and figure what the heck. Dump in 5 of them, zip it up & turn on the microwave.
After about 7 minutes, realize that oops, I didn't poke any holes in them. Oh oh. Start watching (from across the room), waiting for the boom that wasn't the palm fronds falling outside! At 8 1/2 minutes, I turned off the microwave & take out the bag. The bag opens at the zipper and out comes the steam! Hurry up, close up the bag. Leave them for 10 minutes and remove to plate. Think hmmm, those look good. Gingerly poke them with finger. Seem soft. Skin isn't hard and crusty (like they sometimes get in microwave). What the heck, take the smallest one & cut open & eat. Yummm. Cooked all the way through, perfectly!! Woohoo!!
After reading the bags and box more (bags have directions on them) I see that it says one time use only "to avoid cross contamination". Hmmm. Screw that! This here bag is for taters and taters only! I will see how many times I can rinse & reuse it.
Would I spend the money on these again? Well, if I had coupons & clearance price, yes. Normal price, no. The X-LARGE bag is NOT big at all. Says 5 to 6 servings per bag. Ummm. I thought veggie servings were huge? Not by this bags standards. The regular size bag is for 3 cups of fresh veggies and honestly, when I hold them up to the X-LARGE ones, they are about an inch narrower, that's it. I don't know....
So there you have it. I know, I know, gadgets & other things that are suppose to make life easier don't really. BUT - if this will prompt me to eat more veggies because of ease of using microwave, I will. I don't have a tater bag & also have heard about the fire hazards ... soooo.... (don't mention the newest thing about plastic, PLEASE!!!) :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs