Frugal happenings

I made my menu plan on Sunday morning for the week. Really, should have made it for the next 2 1/2 weeks since we are leaving in 9 days to be gone for 7 ...
I had some celery & carrots that were not being used up fast enough. So I thought, heck, lets make some veggie broth since dd loves the stuff (sodium laden crap in the can!)
Got the big pot (not the biggest, but a big one regardless) and added some water, onions, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots & celery. I wish now I had added some pepper & such, but oh well. Let that come to a boil & then just let it simmer for a few hours. Cool and strain.
With that, I'm making a small pot of chili. How small of a pot? Pretty darn small. Took 1 can of red beans, 1 can of black beans, 2 cups veggie broth, 1 can beef broth, 1 can diced tomatoes, some diced jalepenos, onions, red & green peppers (from freezer) and seasonings and it's simmering away on the stove for dinner tonight (along with cheese quesidillas).
I'll post the recipe for chili shortly. It's one that I came across and thought it looked frugal and well, needed something different that wasn't an all day recipe :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs