Recipe - Benihana Onion Soup

This is what I made for dinner on Tuesday (which was soup and sandwiches) ... of course, dd is at work, dh is out to dinner with his Chrysler rep and ds is with the band meeting with the reps from Warner (yes, they are working on a recording deal ... we shall see).

I determined that yes, I could eat this a few times a week. And heck, it's cheap to make! Trying to figure just how many calories it could possibley have in it :) Can't be much, its just broth, shrooms and green onions. Oh yeah, and them crunchy fried onions :)

Oh. There went my theory!! hehe

Be sure to read my notes at the end for my modifications!
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 white onion
1/2 carrot, chunky chop
1/2 celery stalk, chunky chop
4 green onions, green only, thinly sliced
6 medium size shrooms, thinly sliced
Crunchy fried onions (you know the ones!), just a bit, not a lot needed

Combine chicken broth and water in large saucepan over high heat. Rough chop onion, add to broth with carrots and celery. Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer.

Simmer soup for 10 minutes then strain veggies and toss them out. Keep broth over low heat to keep warm.

Ladle broth in bowl. Sprinkle a few pieces of the crunchy onions on top, slice a mushroom or 2 (or 3) and sprinkle these with the green onions over top.

When the onions sink after a few minutes, serve the soup.

Ok, my notes: 1. You can take the real easy way out and just by the VEGGIE broth available in stores and only do the onions. I'm certain it would be the same thing.

2. It's a little salty. If doing the canned broth, try to use some reduced sodium.

3. I used the McCormick chicken base stuff (paste like) where it's 1 tsp for each cup of water.

4. Don't be tempted to add other seasonings! This is suppose to be a simple soup. It's good. Trust me. Now off to the kitchen you go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs